Sept. 4, 2010
Box Score |
No. 5/4 Texas 34, Rice 17
September 4, 2010
Reliant Stadium - Houston, Texas
- Texas improved to 98-17-3 (.843) all-time in season openers.
- Texas improved to 22-10 (.688) when opening on the road.
- Texas opened the season on the road for the first time since 1995 (W, 38-17 at Hawaii).
- Texas improved to 4-0 all-time at Reliant Stadium, outscoring opponents 204-34 in the four games.
- Mack Brown improved to 12-1 in openers at Texas.
- In Mack Brown's 13 openers at Texas, the Horns have outscored their opponents by an average of 48-12 (619-153).
- Mack Brown has won 14 of his last 15 and 20 of his last 23 season openers.
- Texas improved to 70-21-1 all-time against Rice, including winning 11 in a row and 39 of the last 40.
- Texas improved to 29-13-1 all-time against Rice in Houston, including winning 18 of the last 19.
- Texas has won its last seven meetings against Rice by 17 or more points.
- Texas held Rice to 0 total yards and one first down on 11 plays in the third quarter.
MACK ERA MARKS
- UT is now 107-3 when outrushing an opponent.
- UT is now 95-14 when outpassing an opponent.
- UT is now 123-14 when scoring more than 20 points.
- UT is now 107-7 when leading at halftime.
- UT is now 115-5 when leading after three quarters.
- UT is now 94-9 against unranked opponents.
- UT is now 39-5 against unranked opponents on the road.
INDIVIDUAL NOTES Sam Acho
- Acho's forced fumble at the 6:24 mark of the second quarter was his first of the season and the fourth of his career.
- Acho's sack with 6:24 remaining in the second quarter was his first of the season and moved his career total to 15.5.
- Gilbert moved his career record as a starter to 1-0.
- Gilbert made his first career start.
- Gilbert's 47-yard pass to Malcolm Williams midway through the third quarter was a career long.
- Gilbert recorded a career-high 172 passing yards, surpassing his 166-yard effort against Alabama in the BCS National Championship game to end the 2009 season.
- Goodwin recorded a career-long 19-yard rush in the third quarter.
- Goodwin's four receptions was one shy of his career high of five set against UTEP in 2009.
- Jeffcoat's first career sack came with 8:43 remaining in the third quarter.
- Newton registered his first game with multiple TD runs.
- Newton's three TD rushes give him nine for his career.
- Newton became the first UT player to rush for three TDs in a game since Cody Johnson logged three TD carries against ULM to start the 2009 season.
- Robinson's INT at the end of the first quarter was the first of his career.
- Robinson's fumble recovery with 6:24 remaining in the second quarter was the first of his career.
- Robinson's TD on a fumble recovery with 6:24 remaining in the second quarter was the first of his career.
- Tucker's 51-yard field goal attempt at the beginning of the second quarter was the third-longest initial field goal attempt ever by a UT player (Mark Schultis - 55, at Texas Tech (1994); Kris Stockton - 52, vs. New Mexico State (1998)). All three field goal attempts were made.
- Tucker joined Mark Schultis (55, at Texas Tech - 1994); Kris Stockton (52, vs. New Mexico State - 1998) and Phil Dawson (50, at
Pittsburgh - 1994) to become the fourth UT player to make a field goal of 50 or more yards on his first collegiate attempt.
- Tucker became the first UT player to start his career with two field goal attempts of 50 or more yards.
Attendance: 70,445. Sixth largest crowd to see a Texas-Rice game in Houston
Game Captains: #8 Chykie Brown, #11 James Kirkendoll, #64 Kyle Hix, #81 Sam Acho
Coin Toss: Texas called heads. Coin landed heads. Texas deferred to the second half. Rice elected to receive. Texas elects to defend north end zone.