Sept. 7, 2008
Box Score |
No. 10/9 Texas 42, UTEP 13
September 6, 2008
The Sun Bowl - El Paso, Texas
· The crowd of 53,415 is a UTEP record. Texas has now drawn an opponent's largest home crowd four times over the past three seasons (Texas A&M, 88,253, 2007; Nebraska, 85,187, 2006; Texas Tech, 56,158) and is 3-1 in those contests.
· UT extended its school-record non-conference road winning streak to nine, which betters the previous mark of seven from 1956-63.
· With the win against UTEP, Texas tied the longest non-conference winning streak in the Mack Brown era at 10 (2001-03). The Horns' school-record non-conference winning streak of 15 occurred from 1945-48. UT also had a streak of 11 straight non-conference victories from 1963-65 and a 10-game streak from 1968-70.
· Texas has blocked a punt in two consecutive games. It is the first time UT has accomplished the feat since blocking punts against Oklahoma State and Kansas State in 2006. The Horns have now blocked a national-leading 50 kicks since 2000.
· With Roddrick Muckleroy's fumble return for a TD, Texas recorded its 59th non-offensive TD since 1999, which ranks fourth nationally.
· Texas has recorded 400 yards of total offense in 61 of its last 92 games.
· Texas is now 77-13 when outpassing an opponent in the Mack Brown era.
· Texas is now 51-7 when passing for more than 250 yards in the Mack Brown era.
· Texas is now 82-2 when recording more than 400 total yards in the Mack Brown era.
· Texas is now 101-12 when scoring more than 20 points in the Mack Brown era.
· Texas is now 87-7 when leading at halftime in the Mack Brown era.
· Acho recorded the first forced fumble of his career early in the fourth quarter.
· Buckner's 12-yard TD reception with 14:51 left in the second quarter was the first reception and the first TD reception of his career.
· Collins recorded the first reception of his career, a 16-yarder, and finished the game with two receptions for 22 yards.
· Cosby caught a pass in his 34th consecutive game.
· With eight receptions, Cosby moved into fifth place on UT's all-time receptions list with 131, passing Limas Sweed (124) and Eric Metcalf (125).
· Cosby set a new career high with 154 receiving yards on eight receptions, bettering his previous career high of 113 yards against Nebraska in 2007. His 154 yards are tied for 22nd on UT's single-game list.
· With 154 yards, Cosby now has 1,663 career receiving yards, which moves him into eighth on UT's all-time list. He passed Johnny Walker (1,567, 1987-90), Lovell Pinkney (1,580, 1992-94) and Johnny "Lam" Jones (1,603, 1976-79) during the game.
· With his 16-yard TD reception in the first quarter, Cosby now has 10 TD catches for his career.
· Irby's 23-yard TD reception with 3:59 left in the second quarter was the second of his career.
· Johnson's one-yard TD run with 9:20 left in the second quarter was the second of his career. Johnson has now had two carries inside the five with both of them going for TDs behind the lead block of Roy Miller.
· McCoy moved to 22-6 as a starter at UT and is now tied with current UT assistant coach and former Longhorn QB Major Applewhite (22-8, 1998-2001) for seventh in career victories.
· McCoy has thrown a TD pass in 25 of his 28 games, including each of the last six and 15 of the last 16.
· McCoy has thrown at least two TD passes in 17 of his 28 career games.
· With four TD passes, McCoy now has 58 for his career, tying Chris Simms for second on UT's all-time list. He trails only Major Applewhite (60) on the all-time list.
· McCoy has thrown at least four TD passes five times in his career.
· McCoy has passed for 200 or more yards in a game 19 times in his career, which ranks third on UT's career list. He trails only James Brown (20) and Major Applewhite (29).
· McCoy's two 39-yard completions to Quan Cosby were his 40th and 41st career plays of at least 30 yards.
· Muckelroy recovered a fumble early in the fourth quarter and returned it 26 yards for a TD. It was his second career fumble recovery and the first TD of his career.
· Muckelroy posted a career-high 14 tackles.
· Shipley's 15-yard TD reception with 13:33 left in the fourth quarter was the 11th of his career.
· Whittaker saw his first game action as a Longhorn and rushed for 72 yards on 12 carries (6.0 ypc).
· Williams' blocked punt with 5:59 left in the second quarter was the first of his career.
Attendance: 53,415 - UTEP record
Game Captains: #95 Aaron Lewis, #3 Chris Ogbonnaya, #98 Brian Orakpo and #74 Adam Ulatoski
Coin Toss: Texas won the toss and deferred. UTEP elected to receive. Texas chose to defend the South End Zone.