Sept. 27, 2008
Box Score |
No. 7/7 Texas 52, Arkansas 10
September 27, 2008
Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium - Austin, Texas
· The Longhorns set a single-game school record by completing 91.3% of their pass attempts (10 or more attempts). Texas completed 21-of-23 attempts, topping the 90.9% (10-of-11) against Rice in 2006.
· Texas held an opponent to under 20 rushing yards for the 18th time since 1990 and the 16th time under Mack Brown.
· Texas held an opponent to under 40 rushing yards for the third time this season. The Horns held Florida Atlantic to 37, Rice to 17 and Arkansas to 11.
· Texas held an opponent to under 200 yards of total offense for the 28th time since 1990 and the 24th time under Mack Brown.
· Texas moved to 56-21 in the all-time series against Arkansas, including 29-11 in Austin.
· Texas has logged a total of 14 sacks in the last two games after recording just two in the first two games of the season.
· Texas has held opponents to 43 points through the first four games, the lowest point total since holding foes to a combined 32 points through four games in 2001.
· Texas has scored 198 points over its first four games, the second most for Texas since 1915 (236). Texas logged 2005 through four games in 2003.
· Texas has won by identical scores of "52-10" three times this season.
· Texas scored 50 or more points three times in the first four games of a season for the first time since 2005.
· Texas scored 40 or more points in each of the first four games of a season for the first time since 2001.
· Texas' 52 points tied for the second most scored by a team in the Texas-Arkansas rivalry. The Longhorns toppled Arkansas 54-0 in the inaugural meeting in 1894 and Texas beat the Razorbacks 52-0 in 1916.
· Prior to John Gold's punt in the second quarter, Texas had gone 14 consecutive series, including the entire Rice game without punting.
· Texas is outscoring opponents 38-9 in the first quarter this season.
· Texas has not allowed a TD in the first quarter this season.
· Texas is outscoring opponents 111-29 in the first half this season.
· Texas scored 50 or more points for the 36th time since Mack Brown's arrival.
· Texas has produced at least 400 yards of total offense in 63 of its last 94 games. The Longhorns are 84-2 when recording more than 400 yards of total offense in the Mack Brown era.
· Texas improved to 55-6 (.902) in home games during the Mack Brown era.
· Texas improved to 91-3 (.968) when outrushing an opponent in the Mack Brown era.
· Texas improved to 80-15 (.842) when passing for more than 200 yards in the Mack Brown era.
· Texas improved to 103-12 (.896) when scoring more than 20 points in the Mack Brown era.
· Texas improved to 89-7 (.927) when leading at halftime in the Mack Brown era.
· Texas improved to 61-0 (1.000) when rushing for more than 200 yards in the Mack Brown era.
· Texas eclipsed the 200-yard mark both rushing and passing for the third time this season. The Horns have logged 200 yards both rushing and passing 43 times under Mack Brown and Greg Davis.
· Texas has won 27 of its last 30 games in August/September under Mack Brown.
· Texas has won 12 straight non-conference games.
· With the win, Mack Brown racked up his 193rd career victory. With his next win, Brown will move into a tie for 22nd place with Howard Jones on the all-time wins list for the NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision. Jones won 194 games in 29 years at Syracuse, Yale, Ohio State, Iowa, Duke and USC.
· Brown recorded his first career sack midway through the second quarter.
· Chiles equaled a career-high with four completions. He also completed four passes against Florida Atlantic in the season opener.
· Cosby caught a pass in his 35th consecutive game.
· Cosby's 13-yard TD reception early in the third quarter was his third of the season and the 12th of his career.
· Colt McCoy and Quan Cosby have connected on 122 passes. The mark is third on the all-time list for duos trailing only Chris Simms-to-Roy Williams (131) and Major Applewhite-to-Kwame Cavil (124).
· Cosby became the second UT player to ever to amass 1,500 receiving yards and 1,500 kickoff return yards in a career, joining Mike Adams. Cosby has 1,820 career receiving yards and 1,500 kickoff return yards.
· Gold's 54-yard punt was a career long.
· Harris logged his first career reception late in the third quarter.
· Johnson's 1-yard TD run with 14:19 remaining in the second quarter was his fourth of the season.
· Johnson became the first UT freshman running back to ever rush for a TD in each of his first four games. Cedric Benson rushed for a TD in each of his first three games.
· Jones logged his first sack of the season and increased his career total to 2.5.
· Kindle recorded a sack for his second consecutive game and increased his career total to two.
· Lawrence's 34-yard field goal kick with 11:20 remaining in the first quarter. He moves to 3-of-3 for his career.
· Lawrence is 24-of-24 on career extra-point attempts.
· Melton logged his first forced fumble of the season and the second of his career late in the second quarter. He also moved his season and career sack total to 1.5 on the play.
· McCoy increased his UT career TD pass record to 65 with three in the game and now has 14 on the season.
· McCoy moved his career record as a starter to 24-6. He is one win shy of James Brown (25-13-1) and Peter Gardere (25-16) for fifth place on the UT all-time list.
· With his two TD runs in the second quarter, McCoy has four on the season and the 10 for his career.
· McCoy rushed and passed for a TD for the third time in four games. He has done it six times in his career.
· McCoy ended the game with 573 career pass completions, passing Peter Gardere (561) for second place on the UT all-time list. He now trails only Major Applewhite (611).
· McCoy had his third game of the season of 80 or more rushing yards and the fifth 80-yard effort of his career.
· McGee's 16 carries were a season high and the highest total by a UT player in 2008.
· Orakpo recorded two sacks, moving his season total to 5.5 and his career total to 16.0.
· Robinson logged his first career sack.
· In his last two games, Shipley has 13 receptions for 238 yards and four TD receptions.
· With his two TD receptions, Shipley moved into a tie for fifth place on UT's career TD reception list with 15, equaling David Thomas (2002-05) and Lovell Pinkney (1992-94).
· Shipley has a TD reception in six of the last seven games and a total of eight TD catches in that span.
· Shipley's eight receptions are a career high. He previously hauled in six passes against Arizona State in last year's Holiday Bowl.
· Williams 81-yard interception return for a TD was the seventh longest in school history and the longest since Marcus Griffin returned a pick 91 yards against Baylor last season.
· Williams interception was the first of his career.
Attendance: 97,833 - UT's 49th consecutive sellout and second-largest home crowd in UT history.
Game Captains: #12 Colt McCoy, #38 Roddrick Muckelroy, #71 Chris Hall
Coin Toss: Texas wins the toss and defers to the second half. Arkansas elects to receive. Texas elects to defend the North End Zone.