Dec. 5, 2009
Box Score |
No. 3/2 Texas 13, No. 21/20 Nebraska 12
Dr. Pepper Big 12 Football Championship
December 5, 2009
Cowboys Stadium - Arlington, Texas
· Texas claimed its third Big 12 Championship.
· Texas won its 28th league title.
· Texas reached the 13-win mark for the second time in school history (2005, 2009).
· Texas held Nebraska to two first downs and 32 yards of total offense on 28 plays (1.1 ypp) in the first half.
· Texas held Nebraska to five first downs and 106 yards of total offense on 55 plays (1.9 ypp) for the game.
· Texas held Nebraska to 106 yards of total offense for the game, the 13th lowest total in the post-war era (since 1944).
· Texas held Nebraska to 106 yards of total offense for the game is the second fewest in Big 12 Championship history.
· Texas held an opponent under 130 yards of total offense for the third time this season (UTEP - 53; Colorado - 127; Nebraska - 106).
· Texas improved to 9-4 all-time against Nebraska.
· Texas improved to 3-2 in Big 12 Championship games.
· Texas held Nebraska to 39 passing yards, the fewest in Big 12 Championship history (Oklahoma held Colorado to 50 in 2004).
· Texas held Nebraska to six completions, tied for the fewest in Big 12 Championship history (Oklahoma held Colorado to six in 2002) and Texas held Nebraska to six in 1999).
· Texas intercepted three passes in the game, improving their total to 24 on the year, tied for sixth-best in school history.
Mack Brown ERA
· Improved to 95-13 when outpassing an opponent.
· Improved to 104-7 when leading at halftime.
· Improved to 113-5 when leading after three quarters.
· Acho's sack was his ninth of the season and moved his career total to 13.5.
· Gidoen's INT in the first quarter was the fifth of his career, all coming this season.
· Lawrence's two field goals gave him 22 for the season, tying him with Kris Stockton (2000) for the UT single-season record.
· Lawrence improved to 9-of-11 on attempts of 40 or more this season.
· McCoy (45-7) improved his NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) QB victories total to 44.
· McCoy's TD run at the end of the second quarter was his third of the season and the 20th of his career.
· McCoy had his school-record and longest FBS active streak of 29 consecutive games with a TD pass snapped.
· McCoy punted for the fourth time this season and the ninth time in his career, he's pinned the opposition inside the 20 on all nine punts.
· With one rushing TD, McCoy has been responsible for 132 TDs during his career and three shy of Ty Detmer (BYU - 135) for sixth place on the NCAA career TDs responsible for list
· McCoy finished the game with 14,815 yards of total offense for his career, to pass Ty Detmer (14,665) and Colt Brennan (14,740) for fourth place on the NCAA FBS all-time list.
· McCoy finished the game with 13,244, to move within 240 yards of North Carolina State's Philip Rivers (13,484) for fifth place on the NCAA FBS career passing yardage list.
McCoy ended the game with 3,512 passing yards on the season. He now owns UT's top two seasons (3,859 - 2008) and (3,512 - 2009) along with No. 4 (3,303 - 2007).
· Muckelroy's INT early in the third quarter was his first of the season and the second of his career.
· Shipley improved his UT single-season record of receiving yards to 1,363 receiving yards.
· Shipley moved into ninth place on the Big 12 single-season receiving yards list with his 1,363 yards.
· Shipley finished the game with 3,069 receiving yards for his career, passing Mike Adams (3,032 - 1992-96).
· Shipley set the UT single-season receptions record with 106, passing Kwame Cavil (100).
· Shipley moved into sixth place on the Big 12 single-season receptions list with 106.
· Shipley ended the game with 237 career receptions, four shy of Roy Williams (241 - 2000-03) for the UT career record.
· Shipley ended the season with 4,074 yards, becoming the ninth player in school history to reach the 4,000-yard mark for a career.
· Williams INT early in the second quarter was his third of the season and the fourth of his career.
Attendance: 76,211 - 3rd largest in Big 12 Championship history
Game Captains: #12 Colt McCoy, #33 Lamarr Houston, #38 Roddrick Muckelroy, #74 Adam Ulatoski
Coin Toss: Texas picks tails. Coin lands heads. Nebraska defers to the second half. Texas elects to receive. Nebraska elects to defend North End Zone